On , September 24th, 2016 the popular Sunset Beach Paddle Festival will be taking place. This free festival provides fun and entertainment for the whole family. The daylong festival will be held at Sunset Beach Park, 206 Sunset Blvd. N, Sunset Beach, North Carolina, from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you don’t have your own kayak or paddleboard we encourage you to rent one locally.
This year’s festival will have an island beach theme, Sunset style, so be sure to wear your favorite Hawaiian shirt and get ready to say "Aloha!" to everyone you meet. There will be vendors selling microbeers (from local microbreweries) and plenty of food so plan on staying for lunch and an early dinner, too!
There will be lots of kayak and stand-up paddleboard competitions to challenge your technical and endurance skills. This year’s festival includes a 9.5 mile Elite SUP and Kayak Race through the challenging Salt Boiler Course, as well as a 5.5 mile Open category race along the Fox Run Course. In addition, there will be a 1.9 mile social paddle for non-racers and paddling enthusiasts through areas of Fox Creek to Jinks Creek and out to the Intracoastal Waterway.
There will be plenty of activities for those non-paddlers as well. Don’t miss the Dog Costume Content, Gilligan’s Island Lookalike Contest, Pie Baking Contest and a Limbo Contest.
Children will love the games provided for them, too. Gracie the Clown will be in attendance while enjoying the Penny Drop, Pineapple Pitch, Rubber Duck Match-It, and a Tiki Toss.
Ashton Stanley, a local favorite, will perform acoustic stylings and unique interpretations of popular standards from 12 noon until 2:30 p.m. Then, singer and songwriter Randy McQuay and his Trio will be performing from –
- – Kayak Fishing Tournament begins
- – Vendor Booths Open
- – Children’s Treasure Hunt
- – Children’s Games Begin
- – Food & Beer Sales begin
- – Pie Baking Contest judging begins
- – Dog Costume Contest begins
- – Ashton Stanley performs, Dog Costume and Pie Baking Contest results announced
- – Limbo Contest begins
- – Limbo Contest results announced; 9.5 mile Elite Kayak race begins
- – 9.5 mile Elite SUP race begins
- – 5.5 mile Open Kayak Race begins
- – 5.5 mile Open SUP race begins
- – 1.9 Mile Fun Paddle begins; Randy McQuay Trio performs
- – Gilligan’s Island Look-Alike Contest begins
- – Paddle Race, Fishing Tournament, and Gilligan’s Island Look-Alike Contest results announced
- – End of Paddle Fest
Hope we see you there!